Nonna's Favorite Quotes:

Nonna's Favorite Quotes: "The best way to make children good is to make them happy." — Oscar Wilde, author and poet

Monday, September 26, 2011

How It All Began

Never in a million years did I think I would have my own blog! But here I am...

When I attended Mercyhurst College in the 1960s, the last thing I ever wanted to do in life was teach. I knew that for sure. I was a Home Economics major and thought that cooking and sewing would be the appropriate things to study (considering the fact that all I wanted to do after graduation was get married and raise a family.) First semester Sewing was a breeze, but second semester Cooking was to be my downfall! I soon realized that it would be a good idea to choose another major... ASAP. (My husband wishes I would have stayed with the cooking class a little longer.) After reviewing my options with my Academic Advisor (few as they were at that time), the only thing I could come up with, to my dismay, was Elementary Education. But I figured that it would be relatively simple... ABCs...123s...etc. So I went on to earn my BA in Elementary Education in 1970.

After several frustrating years in a rural first grade classroom, I left teaching to raise my own family. My first child was born profoundly deaf, which really rocked my world. What did I know about raising a handicapped child? Well as it turned out, my choice of college majors was a huge help. I had already been thinking about getting my Masters Degree so I set out on a mission. I was going to learn all that I could about the process of learning. I knew I would have to play a big part in my son's education and be his advocate for many years to come. Fortunately, the curriculum allowed me to fit in classes in audiology, sign language, and testing, which became invaluable during his years in school.

Then in 2006 my first grandchild was born. Lina Jane was born prematurely and as she approached her 2nd birthday it was evident that she was experiencing some developmental delays in language. Here we go again! I drew on my knowledge and past experience in this area and started formulating ideas on how to best help Lina. I created "Nonna and Me" as a result of one of those ideas. It started as a simple PowerPoint presentation and then took on a life of its own.

I don't know what made me choose Education as a major back in the 60s, but it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The knowledge I acquired has been instrumental in improving the life of my son and granddaughter and hopefully others along the way. My hope is that the educational materials that "Nonna and Me" provides will be of benefit to preschool children for years to come. I invite you to visit our website and see what we have to offer. I'm confident that you will find "Nonna and Me" to be a great tool for the 21st century preschooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment