Nonna's Favorite Quotes:

Nonna's Favorite Quotes: "The best way to make children good is to make them happy." — Oscar Wilde, author and poet

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mèmè Shares


Mary C. Prus (Mèmè)
I would like to suggest that babies are perfectly happy focusing on the smiling faces, goofy grins and silly sounds of their grandparents.  Yes, I admit, having a grandchild can reduce the most intelligent, educated, successful, career man or woman into a blithering idiot. And that is where the fun begins.  Nonna has come up with easy to do projects that can entertain, stimulate and foster development as children grow beyond goo-goo and zerbert kisses. Here's one from me.
 

Since my first grandchild, Katie Alan, was born in 2000 B.S. (Before Skype) and was 900 miles away, I stayed connected between visits anyway I could. I purchased a small, soft-cover picture album and added photos of Mommy and Daddy, Papa and Mèmè, G.G. (great-grandma), the pets and so on. We would send pictures by e-mail to keep it current. On many nights, while my daughter was reading a bedtime story and rocking the baby to sleep, she would call so I could participate by speaker phone.  We kept copies of favorite books here and I would read while mommy turned the pages.  Now, the grand-daughter sends a text asking if I can Skype.  Ah – technology!

Mary C. Prus, B.A., MATL. taught and administered Early Childhood Developmental Programs in Erie, PA. for 20 years, including the Maura Smith Child Learning Center on the campus of Mercyhurst College, where she had received her Bachelor’s Degree (many years earlier). Which only proves - what goes around, comes around!  Currently she is teaching sixth grade Middle School in Memphis, TN. She is a long distance grandmother to three grandchildren.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Mary. Keep those great ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete