Nonna's Favorite Quotes:

Nonna's Favorite Quotes: "The best way to make children good is to make them happy." — Oscar Wilde, author and poet

Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's Verb Time

When teaching verbs to preschoolers it's a good idea to first talk about what a verb is. Keep it simple. A verb is an action word that describes something we do... we eat, we sleep, we run, we play, we sing. 


Then you can break down verbs into two categories or tenses: present and past. Again, keep it simple. Present tense verbs are used when we are doing something now. Today I dance. Past tense verbs are used when we talk about something we did before. Yesterday I danced.  


REGULAR VERBS
Start with this first Activity Sheet that demonstrates how some present tense verbs become past tense verbs by simply adding 'ed' to the end of the word. 


Here is a list of additional regular verbs that you can use to demonstrate the 'ed' rule:
work         learn         turn        watch         open         walk         talk         beep         splash          

To Print: Double click on the sheet to open it. Then right click and choose Print Picture.
Present and past tense regular verbs

IRREGULAR VERBS
How many times have you heard your preschooler use the words 'catched' or 'teached' or 'thinked'? (I hear it a lot with my 5-year old granddaughter). So let's introduce these kids to the world of irregular verbs. Explain that some verbs, or action words, change a lot when you use them to talk about something that happened before. Use the Activity Sheet below to demonstrate. 


 Here is a list of additional irregular verbs that you can talk about:
 break / broke      fight / fought      buy / bought      go / went      eat / ate      sing / sang  
          swim / swam      sting / stung       hear / heard       draw / drew      see / saw   


Present and past tense irregular verbs


I've found that a good way to teach my granddaughter correct English is through simple conversation.  When she makes a mistake while we're chatting, I just repeat what she has said using the correct word. Example: "Nonna, my Mommy 'teached' me to dance." My Response: "Mommy 'taught' you to dance! That's wonderful."  


I think children develop an 'ear' for what sounds right and what sounds wrong. So if we get it right, eventually they will too.

2 comments:

  1. THe right clicking on a MAC did not have a pop up or print selection ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I have never used a MAC so I can't give you any tips on how to print.

      Delete