Nonna's Favorite Quotes:

Nonna's Favorite Quotes: "The best way to make children good is to make them happy." — Oscar Wilde, author and poet

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Using Your Senses

I've been using these parts of speech activity sheets with my 5 year old granddaughter and I'm amazed at how easily she's grasping the concepts. Simple sentences that contain a NOUN, ADJECTIVE, and VERB are a great way to demonstrate sentence construction and correct grammar. 

On the sheet below, I've also included a lesson on the 5 senses: seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, and smelling. Explain to your child that our senses help us learn about the world around us and about our bodies. Ask your child what part of their body is used for each sense. (We will be exploring our 5 senses in more detail in later posts.)

Then ask your child to read the 5 sentences below, filling in the blank with an adjective that describes the noun. Have them give you several adjectives that would fit into the sentence. Then ask them to pick the one they like the best. If they can't write the word themselves, you write it in for them.

You can continue this activity by using things you see around the house. "I see the black refrigerator." "I hear the loud doorbell." "I taste the cold ice cream." "I touch the furry cat." or "I smell the yucky garbage."

To Print: Double click on the sheet to open it. Then right click and choose Print Picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment